Saturday, January 2, 2010

Pancreatitis

We welcomed the new year in in the ER and Phil has now been diagnosed with pancreatitis caused by gallstones. It appears that he will need surgery to remove his gallbladder and for him surgery is not a simple matter. In fact, it is very dangerous on several different levels. Any surgery will be done in Little Rock which is where his surgeon is.

Because of the prayers of God's people, I am moving through this with grace - otherwise I would be devastated. He hasn't even recovered fully from the August surgery. I know it's probably foolish, but I still have a hope that, some day, he will be well enough to return to work. However, I will be filling out the disability paperwork next week.

I have felt like God has been telling me, "I have a plan." I'm glad because I don't. We have been through a lot medically with Phil but this is far and away the worst. This is beyond me. I am going to have to start working full-time next week because tax season is upon us, so I will only be able to visit him once a week but he said, "We have to do what we have to do. It's OK." I'm so grateful.

God has given me a doctor friend who used to be our family doctor but is now retired. When we talk on the phone, I can ask him any question and he gives me the information I need. I wonder if he realizes how greatly God is using him to minister to me. When I didn't know how on earth I would get him to Little Rock, he told me they would take him by ambulance and I didn't even need to give it another thought. He explained how the gallstones caused the pancreatitis (by a stone blocking the common bile duct). He explains anything I need to know and it is a great comfort.

My children have been wonderful too. When I told my daughter that I don't know what I would have done without my son, who is still at home, she said that they were actually considering trying to find a job and moving back here just so I wouldn't be alone. Wow. I wouldn't ever want them to do that because they are so happy where they are now but that really ministered to me. I am not alone, even though it feels that way sometimes.

And my pastor is always there for me. I can call him or stop by to talk to him any time I want. He has walked through all of this with us for the past 6 years and knows my personality so well that he knows just what to say to help me gain some perspective. I couldn't have made it this far without his support.

And so we walk on, one day at a time and one step at a time. God has a plan and He is in control of our lives and that is enough ...

1 comment:

Kristi McInerney said...

praying for you Diane...God has it all under control, thank goodness we can rely and relax and wait on Him.

Love,
Kristi