Saturday, December 12, 2009

Messiah


I had the pleasure of attending the Community Festival Chorale's performance of the Messiah this evening. George Frederick Handel composed it in 24 days, working day and night. It is said that when it was finished, a friend found him in his room with tears streaming down his face. He said, "I do believe I have seen all of Heaven before me and the great God Himself." It has been my favorite piece of classical music since we sang the Hallelujah Chorus in high school choir. I was so glad that the people knew to stand when the Hallelujah Chorus was sung tonight. That tradition began the first time Messiah was ever performed. King George II of England was in the audience and it is said that he was so moved that he stood up. Of course, every else had to stand too because he was the King and so the tradition began.

It was wonderful seeing old friends I hadn't seen for years. But the most wonderful thing of all was getting to hear a teenager from our church sing a solo for the first time. She has an incredible soprano voice that sounded like the voice of an angel! And her voice was so powerful too! I wonder what God is going to do with that voice!

No comments: