Saturday, September 15, 2012

Organizing Genealogy

I cleaned out a shelf of mostly Bibles and devotionals to make room for a Lego shelf in my bookcase.  We had collected way too many Bibles over the years and it feels good to declutter.  I discovered that I enjoy making things for the grandkids to play with out of little Lego kits and now I have a place to put them!

I'm still crocheting away on those scarves for the fourth graders.  I have 8 more camo ones to make for the boys and then a couple more for the girls.  If this ends up working and the kids like them, I plan on doing this for my friend's class every year.

I finally figured out how to get a handle on the enormous amount of information pouring into my life through ancestry.com.  I am typing a "profile page" for every person in my tree.  This is basically a list of the important information for that person, such as birth & death dates, spouse, children, siblings, parents, immigration information, residences, and documentation.  This will make it so much easier to actually see what I have, since I currently have over 2000 people in my tree.  But don't be impressed because ancestry makes it almost TOO easy to incorporate more people. 

I have felt overwhelmed for a while, and that causes the joy to be lost.  I think this "profiling" will help get me back on track.  As I look at what I have for each person, I will also compare the documentation to what I have in my files as hard copies.  I want my tree to have a solid foundation beginning with my parents, and then later on it can reach into the sky with tiny limbs.

When I asked myself why on earth I would even care about dead people, I realized that I organizing information for the people I leave behind.  Hopefully one person in each generation will care about this.  I find history fascinating.  Part of it is that it helps to put my life into perspective.  It also gives me a feeling of belonging to something greater than just my immediate family.

No comments: